FREE Australian shipping on orders over $100*

International shipping from $15#

Tips For Better Burning

There are many ways that you can prolong the life of your beeswax candle, and ensure that it burns optimally. Here are a few tips (please feel free to email us with any other tips that you may have based on your experience):

Prolonging the life of your candle

Keeping your candle out of a draft will ensure it burns for longer and doesn't drip;
If you REALLY want to prolong the life of your candles, refrigerate them for an hour or so prior to lighting them;
Ensure that you keep the wick of your candle trimmed to 5 - 7 millimetres.

Keeping the hand-painted wrap (lantern) intact

Keeping the wick as upright as possible will ensure that the hand-painted beeswax wrap remains relatively intact (Note: NEVER straighten the wick when it is cold. To straighten the wick, wait until the candle is burning and use a non-flammable poker/stick to adjust the wick to a central position; Pure beeswax candles do not smoke

There are two known reasons why a beeswax candle may smoke - both of which are easily fixed. Burning a beeswax candle in a draft may cause it to smoke as the wind causes the candle to burn too fast. Remove your candle from the draft and it will burn smoke free.

The other reason your candle may emit smoke is if the wick is too tall. Correct this by trimming the wick back to 5 - 7 millimetres.

Never 'blow out' your Queen B candle

Queen B candles are made with 100% cotton wicking. The wick draws up the melted wax, fuelling the flame. If you blow out the flame, the wick will continue to smoke and smoulder because there are small embers inside the wick burning the wax out of the fibres. Ideally your candle should always be extinguished by 'dunking' the wick into its own pool of liquid wax using an implement such as a pencil, chopstick or even a small stick.

Trim the wick to 1/2cm before you re-light your candle (every time)

This is VERY important.  A beeswax candle is a natural ioniser when it burns, so it draws dust and dirt into the pool of wax.  The wax (and inadvertently some of the dust) is drawn up the wick to fuel the flame, with the dust clogging the wick.  Trimming the wick trims off the 'dead' part of the wick.


Following is the text from an email from a customer regarding this issue... read on for more info.

From: Tulsi Devi
Sent: Sunday, 22 February 2009 9:02 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: candles


I have over the past year purchased dozens of your candles all different sizes and I have two in front of me, the large ones that won’t burn! When I light them they does go out, it has happened with a few others but being smaller I have thrown them away but with these I am a bit disappointed, I have purchased them from the thin green line in mullumbimby, I can post them back to you if possible to replace them.

Thank you kindly,

Kind Wishes,
Tulsi Devi     
Yoga in Daily Life


From: Queen B
Sent: Sunday, February 22, 2009 8:32 PM
To: 'Tulsi Devi'
Subject: RE: candles

Hi Tulsi,

Thank you for your email… I would far rather know if someone wasn’t happy than have them ‘throw them away’ and be disappointed.

I would imagine that what is happening is that the wick is getting clogged.  This typically happens if someone lives in a very dusty environment (be it that they are near a main road, surrounded by nature, or in the middle of renovations!).  Either which way, a beeswax candle is a natural ionizer when burning, so it is emitting negative ions and drawing the dirt in the environment into the pool of wax.  When the wick then draws the wax to fuel the flame, the wick gets clogged with this fine dust… which is fantastic because it means that the candle is cleaning the air you breathe, and frustrating because sometimes it won’t light easily, or the flame gets small when it is burning.

What I would like you to do before you return the candles to me is to see if you can get them to burn properly… that way I can show you for if it ever happens again how to fix the problem.  If you can’t fix it, return them to me and I will happily replace them (and see if I can work out what is going on)!...

So, before you light the candles, you need to break off the top of the wick (you can do it with scissors, or I just break it off with my fingers).  Then, when you light the candle, hold the lighter flame to the wick until you see the wax at the base of the wick start to soften and change colour… basically the wax is the fuel, if you just light the top of the wick, it can sometimes peter out before it reaches its fuel source.  Hold the lighter flame to the wick until it has burned all the way to the bottom.  If you notice that the base of the wick (at the point that it joins the wick) is a bit ‘furry’, that is dirt that is blocking the wick from drawing wax up it… keep holding the lighter flame to the wick until you can see that the wick has taken the flame for itself…

I hope this makes sense.  It is very hard describe to someone else… but I obviously need to learn.  I would love your honest feedback on whether these instructions made sense or whether they can be improved.

Tulsi, I am confident after almost a decade of burning our candles that they work.  We spend too long on wick testing for them not to work!  That said, they are a natural product and because of their wonderful quality of ionizing the air they can require nurturing.

Let me know either which way.

Thanks again for emailing Tulsi

Cate Burton
Queen B


From:     Tulsi Devi
Subject:     RE: candles
Date:     23 February 2009 6:21:45 PM
To:     [email protected]

Dear Cate,

Your instructions were perfect and candles seem to be burning very well. I am very relieved. Thank you for you assistance and beautiful candles.

Kind Wishes,
Tulsi Devi     
Yoga in Daily Life

To stay in touch with news from the hive, new products and special offfers, sign up here.